Buttery Soft Halloween Sugar Cookies
Have a spooky sweet Halloween with these fun and festive sugar cookies! They are my all time favorite holiday recipe for buttery soft and delicious cut out cookies.
Halloween Sugar Cookies
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links; should you choose to make a purchase using said link, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup softened butter (not melted)
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, set aside. In a large bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add in the vanilla. Gradually blend in the sifted ingredients until fully absorbed. Cover dough, and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets. On a clean floured surface, roll out small portions of chilled dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters. You can find all kinds of cute and funny Halloween cookie cutters here.
Time To Bake!
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are barely brown. Allow cookies to cool for on the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes. Then move from cookie sheets onto wire racks to finish cooling. Once cooled decorate using your favorite royal icing colors and flavors. You can also use buttercream frosting for an fun and easy decorating idea with children.
These cookies will keep their shape nicely and remain soft and chewy long after being cooled. They will be a big hit at parties! They remain fresh for 2-3 weeks if kept in an airtight container.
Bake ahead and store in the freezer. They will remain fresh for 3-6 months as long as they are wrapped tightly in plastic and kept in an airtight container. I honestly don’t know who would wait that long to eat them. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy making this recipe, if so share it and also see my classic recipe for Easy Royal Icing!
Also see: Have A Bootiful Halloween