Buttery Soft Sugar Cookies
Do you love sugar cookies? I admit they are my favorite cookies to make especially on Christmas Eve. This soft delicious cut out cookie recipe is sure to please a holiday crowd! Use your favorite cookie cutters to make this recipe and add icing once they are cooled. The total prep time is 3 hours (2 hours to chill the dough) bake time 8 to 10 minutes and yields about 4 dozen cookies.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links; should you choose to make a purchase using said link, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Buttery Soft Christmas Cookies
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup softened butter (not melted)
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, set aside. In a large bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add in the vanilla. Gradually blend in the sifted ingredients until fully absorbed. Cover dough, and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheets. On a clean floured surface, roll out small portions of chilled dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are barely brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. Once cooled decorate using your favorite icing colors and flavors. Enjoy!
These cookies will keep their shape nicely and remain soft and chewy long after being cooled.
I hope you enjoy making this recipe if so share it and also see my classic recipe for Easy Royal Icing!