Coconut Malibu Rum Cake
This buttery Coconut Malibu Rum Cake is a taste of the Tropics and easy to make!
Here is a delicious rum cake that is a simple and easy dessert recipe perfect for Holidays, a beach barbeque or just in time for Labor Day! It’s easy to make and you can use just about any of your favorite box cake mix. I love the ease of a box mix for baking but felt that it sometimes lacked the extra flavor that I wanted. So I started experimenting with different recipes and this by far is one of the best. When I first created this recipe it took about 3 tries to get it perfect. You will notice in the ingredient list below that I substitute the box mix recommendations to add more flavor and make it taste home made.
- 1 box cake mix (I recommend Pillsbury Moist)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup Malibu Coconut Rum
- 1 stick melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bag shredded coconut
The pineapple juice and rum substitutes the one cup of water recommended and adds more flavor.
You can tweak the pineapple juice and just use 1/2 cup of water instead.
- Set your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare 2 or 3 8-inch round pans or 1 13 x 9 – inch baking dish to keep cake from sticking by lightly coating bottom of pan with butter
- Add flour to dust the pan then place into the freezer.
- Blend cake mix, pineapple juice, Malibu Coconut Rum, 1 stick melted butter, oil and eggs in a large bowl until moistened.
- Beat with a mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Cake Batter should be a pretty yellow.
Most of the alcohol in the cake mix will cook off in while baking in the oven leaving more of the coconut flavoring behind but not the rum. This is why you add more rum to the cake while slightly hot. It will mix with the butter and will add a delicious buttery rum flavor to the cake.
- Remove pans from freezer, fill each equally with mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 29 to 33 min.
- Insert toothpick in the center of the cake to check and see if it comes out clean, your cake is done.
- Continue to poke hole into the cake with a toothpick.
- Gently pour 1/3 cup of Malibu Coconut rum over cake while still slightly hot.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.
- If baking in 13 x 9 – inch baking dish, simply add your favorite white frosting then sprinkle shredded coconut on top.
- If using 2 or 3 8-inch round cake pans, add the frosting and coconut in between layers, & on top then garnish with maraschino cherries.
- Cake is best served room temperature or on a hot day you can serve it cold as a cool refreshing dessert.